BOOK REVIEW: The Lopsided Christmas Cake by Wanda E. Brunstetter and Jean Brunstetter

Join the Hochstetler twin sisters on stage as they bumble their way through baking a cake for a charity auction in front of a live audience. The take-charge Elma and the klutzy optimist Thelma manage to entertain their audience—and attract the admiration of two bachelors, an outspoken woodworker and a shy harness maker from a neighboring Amish community. As fall leads into the Christmas season, could romance be blossoming for one or more of the Hochstetler twins?

When their Grandparents pass away in a buggy accident Elma and Thelma are surprised when their home and store are left to the twins in the will.  Moving away from their family to take over their Grandparents' place provided it's own set of challenges, including finding ways to meet and build relationships within their new community.  Enter the charity auction.  Through some bumps and bruises, the girls manage to find their way in the house (that needs umpteen repairs), the store (which needs a thorough overhaul and inventory), and in finding their place in their new community.  And where love does, reluctantly, blossom.

This is my first 5 star review of the year.  I don't know if this book is just that much better than other really good books I've read or just my mindset while reading it was just that much different.  Don't second guess it because I might have to overthink and change my mind!  This book was exactly what I needed when I read it, a light-hearted feel good story.  Elma drove me batty, exactly as she should have, with her somewhat judgemental take on everything.  Thelma made me laugh with her anything goes fly with what takes you outlook.  Together they make the perfect odd couple.  Though I honestly felt as though Thelma was immature for her age and possibly lacking in her own confidence.  I mean seriously, she wants to keep a kitten and thanks her sister for letting her?  Please woman!  

The sequel to this book, 'The Farmer's Market Mishap' comes out on June 1st and I can't wait to read it.  I actually have the book through on of my review programs so sent Ma off to the library to grab this one for me so that I had a good balance and order before diving into the next one. 

 Goodreads     Amazon     Barnes & Noble
The Lopsided Christmas Cake

About Wanda E. Brunstetter
Wanda E. Brunstetter is an award-winning, New York Times best-selling author of Amish and historical fiction. She's also written Amish cookbooks, Amish-themed devotionals, and several children's books with Amish characters.
Wanda E. Brunstetter writes about the Amish because they live a simple life, which she feels we all need in this day and age.
Wanda and her husband Richard, who grew up in a Mennonite church, have Amish friends in several Amish communities.
Besides writing books, Wanda's a professional ventriloquist. In her spare time she photography, gardening, knitting, looking for shells and agates on the beach, and spending time with her family.

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Goodreads

About Jean Brunstetter
Jean Brunstetter enjoys writing about the Amish and takes every opportunity to visit her Amish friends in many communities.

Facebook | Goodreads


No comments