BOOK REVIEW: The Duke's Dilemma by Elaine Manders

Edward Dalton, the new Duke of Langsdale, must soon take a wife to ensure the hereditary line. A young war widow seems the perfect choice. She is charming, well respected with impeccable character, and her connections to the Ton’s most important people is an asset he can’t ignore. But Edward is intrigued by another widow. The mysterious, hauntingly beautiful Lady Wayte.

Cassandra Wayte could not be a more unsuitable match. She isn’t received by polite society, and her notorious dealings with London’s underclass is the talk of nobility from White’s patrons to the most fashionable hostesses. It’s even whispered she murdered her elderly husband. But Edward sees a different side of the tragic lady, and he determines to discover the secrets tormenting her. As he peels away the layers of her resistance, he discovers a malevolent adversary stalking Lady Wayte and exposes a level of depravity that shocks even his war-hardened sensibilities. Can he win her trust and her heart? And at what cost to the dukedom?

As Cassandra’s relentless search for her husband’s murderer exposes both her and Edward to unseen dangers, all they can rely on is their love for each other and their faith in God. 


I was a bit worried when I procrastinated a bit on getting this read and realized it was the second in a series and I didn't have time to read the first book.  I started reading and then  quickly read the synopsis of the first book and realized I was safe.  While they are part of a series they appear to be totally stand alone.  I wasn't so certain at first.  But the things I questioned that I was missing were resolved later in the story.  And oh my gravy what a story it was.  I really really liked it.  I'd not read this author before but now I'd really like to get my hands on more of her work.  Her voice is embracing, the story flows so well, and while there were things I felt I didn't understand they were addressed at just the right time in just the right way.  There was nothing much to not like about this book.

Cassandra was the epitome of annoying, trying to save and protect the world.  I loved her for that.  Women of her time weren't in a position to speak up, be knowledgeable, and having any shade in their history was worse than the pox.  But still she persevered through it all.  Even a modern, independent woman with endless opportunities still needs to take a step back from time to time and let someone else step up.  A lesson for the ages.  Edward was just about as annoying.  He was so closed to the gossip and open to every person as an opportunity but then failed to even recognize his outcast-ish neighbor until his sister jumped the wall.  Then he became her personal champion, whether she liked it or not.  

Seriously, the characters were very well developed, the story flowed amazingly well, and I just fell in love (or distaste) where intended.  The faith was spot on and even the verses that were quoted flowed with the story and didn't feel like a toss in.  I think my favorite, and probably the most relevant for any Christian was the idea of replacing negative and triggering mental images with the blood of Christ washing the bad away.  I mean seriously, how did this never come up before.  Literally visualizing Christ washing all the negative away.  Mind blown.  

I was provided a complimentary copy of this book by CelebrateLit.  I was not compensated for this review and all thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.  I was not required to write a positive review.

Goodreads | Amazon 
The Duke's Dilemma (The Wolf Deceivers Book 2)

About Elaine Manders 
Elaine Manders writes wholesome Christian romance and suspense about the bold, capable women of history and the strong, dependable men who love them. She prefers stories that twist and turn and surprise, told by characters of faith. She lives in Central Georgia with a happy bichon-poodle mix. Besides writing, she enjoys reading, crafts, and spending time with her friends, daughter, and grandchildren.

Website | Twitter | Goodreads

1 comment